Technology is something we all have experiences with. Many people, including myself, believe that technology and the advancement of technology is a great thing. In schools especially, there are many benefits when incorporating technology with education. But there are some important aspects to consider when evaluating whether too much is good or not. Below includes readings that discusses and evaluates technology as a whole and technologies in schools.
Technology as a whole: good or bad?:
Parker, Colette. “The Advancement of New Technology. Positive or Negative?” Linkedin. N.p., 12 Apr. 2015. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
- In this blog post-type article, Colette Parker discusses technology as a whole. Parker brings both sides to the table, the positives and negatives of technology. Throughout the post, Parker goes back and forth when talking about the positives and negatives of technology, and brings in examples throughout the “golden age” of technology. Technology is like a blade, it gets refined every year as something new comes out. Parker ends his post by saying technology has its good and bad, but it is up to people to decide whether it will be used for positive or negative outcomes.
If you want to have a better insight for technology, you should read this as it brings up fair arguments to both sides of technology.
Effects caused by technology:
Ramey, Karehka. “Technological Advancements and Their Effects on Humanity.” Use of Technology. N.p., 12 Nov. 2012. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
- In this article, Karehka Ramey talks about technological advancements and the effects it has on us. First we have the smartphone, does basically anything we want, and it simplifies our lives by letting us do tasks we would normally need a computer to do. This results in us relying on our phones more often and have less human interactions. Next we have advancement of technology in the medical field. This one is pretty self explanatory, as more and more advancements are made in the medical field, doctors are able to use this and say many lives. New drugs are being created to with new technology to cure diseases we were not able to do anything about before. With that being said, people would rely more on these new technologies in the medical field, and not care for their body as much because there are a good amount of things, health related, that can be fixed through technology.
This is a good read if you want to learn more about technology, and the different impacts it has in different fields.
Technology in education:
Semary, Hebatalla El. “Barriers to the Effective Use of Technology in Education: Case Study of UAE University.” Barriers to the Effective Use of Technology in Education: Case Study of UAE University 01.05 (2011): 22-32. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
- In this paper, Hebatalla Semary finds solutions to use technology effectively in a classroom setting. In two of my previous blogs, I discusses where briefly touched on whether technology in schools were good and came to the conclusion that if used correctly, then it is not only good but also very beneficial for students. Semary comes up with a plan to help create a positive environment for technology. It all comes down to the teachers, since they are the ones who interact with the students the most throughout the day. From there they just need to develop strategies to effectives use technology before going in blindly. This is important to read if you are planning to be a teacher yourself and are deciding how to implement technology in a classroom setting where it will be beneficial for the students. This paper clarifies the notion that technology is bad for students. Yes it’s bad if used in the wrong way, but great if used correctly; it’s like a double edged sword.
Lim, Cher Ping, Yong Zhao, Jo Tondeur, Ching Sing Chai, and Chin-Chung Tsai. “Bridging the Gap: Technology Trends and Use of Technology in Schools.” JSTOR. International Forum of Educational Technology & Society, n.d. Web. 09 Apr. 2016.
- In this peer reviewed article, Ping discusses the current state of technology in schools. Where is it at? Ping compares the whole education system to that of a business. For example, businesses are using technology to improve efficiency and overall work ethics. Schools need to start accommodating for students by allowing technology to be used. Not only will this improve their learning experiences, but also prepare them for the real world.
Behrens, Sig. “The Education-Technology Revolution Is Coming.” US NEWS. N.p., 1 Mar. 2013. Web. 16 Apr. 2016.
- In this article, Sig goes through the positives and negatives of technology. Throughout this article, he is trying to argue for technology being implemented in schools. Why should we restrict something that we know is going to help us, especially students? While technology is great and all, it is not the key to all problems as Sig mentions. Similar to Ping, Sig compares the school model to a business; he uses amazon as an example. Schools have to better package themselves if they want to make an impact on the student.